Behind the Bar

A Locals Design Guide to Bars, Restaurants, and Lounges.

Hello to all!

I have made it, as I am sure you can tell by reading this. 23 hours, 2 flights, 4 tylinal p.m., 5 beers, and one very tired girl later I made it into Prague! It was totally worth it. This city is great and architecture to match.

This city is lined with small cobblestone alleyways, old world design, and churchs\cathedrals all over the place. I have yet to be short a great sandwich or a cold pilsner.

As I am short on time I will give the most to the point descriptions of my first hours upon my arrival and just leave it to the pictures I will be adding to speak for themselves. I dined at a great locals spot where some seriously saucy beef, brie, and beers were the perfect start to what I can only imagine as an amazing adventure. The design of the space was fairly minimal, or at least I couldn't see a lot of design through the cloud of smoke. I forgot what it was like to be in a place where you are the odd person out if you aren't a smoker. After a great meal, our server told us to check out a self-service pub down the street. Thats right folks, someone thought it would be a great idea to set me loose in a bar where I am my own bartender. I love you random chech server for turning me on to what will eventually lead to a pretty serious hangover today. Looking into The Pub you would think it was like every other cafe around town. A gentleman that was entering the space could see the doubtful look on my face but reassured me that I would be a fool not to go in. Kinda like the don't judge a book by its cover deal. The cover portrayed stuffy cafe; the pages read brilliant 2 story driking extravaganza. This bar was great! There was about 5 tables upstairs and 8 downstairs. Each table sat 10 ppl (I am sure more if you didn't mind cuddling up) and at the center was 4 taps. It keeps track of how much beer is poored on a small screen above the spouts and also on a large projector spanning one wall. I might add it is very interesting to know exactly how much beer you consume in one sitting. For two people I feel we held our own but once I looked at the scores (they tally up the number of beers you drink and turn it into a contest of sorts, which tables are the heavy drinkers and which are the lightweights losers) I realized I need to build up my tolerance much more. Coming in almost dead last in our drinking 'contest' we left the bar to frolick through the street for a bit.

I have to say, tourist populated cities are much better when all tourists are at their respected hotels dreaming about what kooky European adventure they could be on the next day. At night the streets are completely cleared allowing for dancing or random back alley makeout sessions. Not that I would know or anything. I am one of the tourists ;)

Till my next adventure....

1 comments:

VM said...

Love it... Miss you already and wish I was there... get your drinking legs and liver going, show them how crazy our American women can be...