Behind the Bar

A Locals Design Guide to Bars, Restaurants, and Lounges.

Nov 14, 2008

I have been flagged!




I thought I would include this little tasty morsel the editors on Yelp just sent me. I have been flagged! Apparently you are not allowed to review a restaurant if you have worked there. It seems that mentioning the gays, or the supreme parenting of Barry Bonds, or what kind of crazy restaurant owners would place a crotchy clown peering out over the stuffy Porsche driving crowd, didn't get the plug pulled on me. Solely the fact that I worked there was enough for the iron hand of the law to squash me. God forbid you read a review on yelp that is actual fact.

Hi Sheyna,
I'm writing to let you know about our decision to remove your review of Boboquivari's. Your review was flagged by the Yelp community, and our Customer Service team has determined that it falls outside our review guidelines (
http://www.yelp.com/faq#great_review) because it appears as though you were an employee of the business you reviewed.
As a valued member of our community, we hope you will continue to provide great reviews, while keeping in mind our Review Guidelines. See you on Yelp!
Regards,
E*#^r
Yelp User Support
San Francisco, California

The guidelines state "The best reviews are personal and experiential, and tend to offer helpful suggestions, perhaps even an insider tip or two. " Yet the next guideline is "You should not review your own business or a business at which you have been or are currently employed." Isn't that a conflict of interest? You want an insider look, which I gave you, and yet you don't actually want an insider look. That makes perfect sense. You welcome people to pass judgement on some place they have been to once but a person that is actually in the know, no no no, their voice will not be heard. Now don't get me wrong, I completely understand not wanting a current employee to write bad reviews of your place. Lets face it, other than a hand full of people, who really likes the place that they work and wouldn't want to rip the employer a new a**hole? But why is it we, as employee's, can't keep our employers on their toes also. Wouldn't a review written by an employee make an employer strive to be even better to avoid that review? Wouldn't that, in turn, make the employee like the employer more and hence work harder for the them? Have I lost you yet? Alls im saying is nobody thats wants to keep their job would write something bad about the place they are currently working. And if you are no longer working there and don't plan on using that place as a reference...ever, why the heck is it such a big deal to tell people what it is really like at there favorite dining spot. How could you enjoy your Tuna Tartare w/ Wasabi vinaigrette, lotus chips and avocado cucumber salad knowing the the staff that is serving it is run by tyrant?

Lucky for you, editors of Yelp, there is no other place in San Francisco I have worked because believe you me, I would come at you with a fiery fury no man or woman could ever put out! Grrrrrrr.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i feel your pain. i posted a review of "candy bar" based on my perceptions of walking by it, reading their menu, and concluding that the place looks like jcrew and wasn't a good fit for the neighborhood.

Those dam yelp elitists!

Sheyna Greenamyer said...

I know the whole judging book cover thing is overused and quite frankly pretty lame. But for now its alls I got. If the cover sucks, so does the book! Come on authors, if you are really as creative as you claim I am assuming you surround yourself with other creative-ites. Run your cover by them before it goes into print, please! Same for bar/restaurant owners. I find it hard to believe that your friends would say, 'why yes, I know I have always wanted to sip on a cocktail while surrounded by J and his crew. It's genius!' Now with that said, I understand how first impressions can kill. That is why I ask my surrounding companions and employees what they think. By combining our thoughts through a joint effort, it becomes enough for me to seriously pass judgment.
As far as yelp, it is just a place that allows people to passive aggressively shit talk because they don't have the balls to do it in person.

Nob Hill Forreal said...

Yelp is full of painfully, overly-biased, bloviating a-holes, so I dont see how your review would be any different than everyone elses.
screw yelp, and unless they have bars now, "candy bar" didnt looked like a jcrew at all.

Sheyna Greenamyer said...

I totally retract my statement about candybar. The design can be a little more desirable (speaking mostly of the bookcase and chandelier) but after meeting the owner and chefs I might just be my new favorite place!